Monday, December 11 from 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm features our Polar Express night. The movie starring the voice of Tom Hanks as the train conductor is based on a book by Van Allsburg, as children ride the train to meet Santa at the North Pole. Come to Northside in your pajamas with your favorite stuffed animal. Enjoy hot chocolate and chocolate chip cookies with our movie. Ages pre-school through elementary.
Try this polarpartywordsearch found here before you come to the movie!
Here are some questions we can discuss before or during our movie night:
- The boy’s friend told him that Santa doesn’t exist, but the boy continues to believe. Think of a time in your own life that you have experienced this situation. How does it feel to keep firm when other people tell you you are wrong?
- Notice how Van Allsburg adds to his descriptions of the train ride to the North Pole by comparing one thing to another (give some examples). How does this kind of descriptive language add to the story for you?
- The boy can ask Santa Claus for anything in the world. Why do you think he chooses a simple bell?
- Why can the boy and his sister hear the bell while their parents cannot?
- Why can the boy still hear the bell as an adult, while his sister and friends cannot?
- What do you think Van Allsburg wants the bell to represent?